Careers and Job Opportunities
Welcome to our careers page where you will find a listing of our current vacancies.
Our wonderful country house hotel looks after guests who are visiting Penrith and the Lake District for leisure and business. Alongside this we cater for our local residents offering lunches and dinners as well as our renowned afternoon teas. We also specialise in conferences, weddings and special events for anywhere between 10 and 200 people.
We pride ourselves on the personal service and attention to detail that makes our guests feel so important and cared for and ensures they have an amazing visit to our country house.
There is a specialist team that looks after events and weddings ensuring that Brides and Grooms and other event organisers along with their guests have the most fantastic stress free day.
We are driven to develop our team from within whenever possible and all the senior managers are committed to their teams personal development. Training is offered internally and we have strong links to Kendal College and other training organisations who can offer part time or one off specialist training.
We really are very friendly team so if you are interested in a career in hospitality or simply need a weekend or part time job please get in touch – enthusiasm and a sparkling personality are characteristics we are always looking for.
All roles offer flexible working and great discounts here at Roundthorn and with Classic Lodges throughout the UK.
10 reasons to work in hospitality: –
- You make people’s day! – Every time you come to work, you’re making someone’s day a little bit better! Hospitality is all about making people happy, not boring spreadsheets!
- It’s creative – As well as being people focused, hospitality is creative. You are creating a product, whether it be food, a drink or an experience. There is always a way to make it more enjoyable for the guests.
- It opens a door to the world – All the skills you learn can be used anywhere in the world making getting a job in new places easier, while you can be experiencing different countries, cultures & people!
- You won’t get stuck – There is such an enormous range of opportunities within hospitality that there is never a need to be stuck in one role. You can easily stay with the same employer while moving around different departments, where else can you do that?
- There are always promotions – You can move up the ladder very quickly in this industry. If you work hard, show initiative, and work well in the team you could soon have a senior role managing your own team & projects! Just ask some of our staff.
- Not 9-5 – if you prefer a lie in on a Monday morning, instead of the same old boring routine then hospitality is for you! No day is ever the same, not only do your hours vary but the work you do within them does too!
- It’s versatile–There are so many easy ways to achieve qualifications in hospitality both on and off the job. These qualifications go with you were ever you go and are relevant to lots of other industries.
- Exciting perks – Never mind a boring office party, we get to help our customers have fun while we have fun too and where else would you get to rub shoulders with celebrities and sample gourmet meals!
- Great atmosphere – We only hire friendly people, so realistically you are going to get on with most of them. Colleagues turn into friends that you will keep for life! We actually enjoy coming to work, isn’t that half the battle!
- It’s a safe bet! – People always need food, drink and somewhere to stay, don’t they? (Pandemic pending!)
We are looking for a new team member to join us in this friendly but busy kitchen. The ideal candidate will enjoy the varied nature of our operation from banqueting and buffets to restaurant service and afternoon teas. A particular interest in baking and pastry would be useful.
On the job training will be provided, and off the job training is also available through Kendal College.
Full Time or Part Time.
Apprentice Commis Chef
Learn all the skills you need to be a talented chef, working alongside our professional team and in conjunction with an apprenticeship program run by the experienced team at Kendal College.
Our senior chefs are committed to your personal development and will allow you to be involved and contribute to all aspects of the business.
Candidates need to demonstrate real drive and enthusiasm for a career as a professional chef.
We need an enthusiastic individual to join our friendly but busy kitchen team. You would be assisting the chefs in all aspects of the kitchen, preparing for service, supporting the chefs during busy service whilst maintaining a clean and hygienic environment.
Experience is not essential, but the successful candidate will show an enthusiasm for cooking and may have a particular interest in baking.
On the job training will be provided and off the training is also available.
Full Time or Part Time.
Front of House Assistant
We are looking for a new member of our small, friendly front of house team to train and be involved in all aspects of the exciting day to day business of our country house hotel, where no hour, day or week is the same.
Applicants need to have a sparkling personality along with the natural drive and ability to provide exceptional customer service. Some hospitality experience would be ideal but is not essential for applicants with the above characteristics.
Full training will be provided, and external training programs are also available which can lead to the successful candidate developing supervisory and management skills if they wish to further progress within the industry.
Full Time or Part Time
A Kitchen Porter is the backbone and vital part of any busy kitchen.
Are you reliable & hardworking? Would you enjoy working in a small friendly team?
Then come and work alongside our chefs in our ever-changing kitchen.
Part Time or Casual. (predominantly weekend work)
Food & Beverage/Event Assistants
These are such varied and interesting roles.
Have you an eye for detail with a creative flare? Would you enjoy putting together the finishing touches to someone’s wedding or celebration? – we are looking for team members to assist with the setting up of weddings and special events
Are you a confident and social person? – Do you appreciate really good service? – we are looking for team members to provide excellent food service and customer care during events.
Are you experienced in bar service or would you like to learn a new skill? – we are also looking for team members to assist with bar and wine service – to train for this role you need to be 17+
The main qualification for these roles is reliability and enthusiasm along with a great personality.
Full training will be given in all the above positions.
Part Time or Casual (predominantly weekend although midweek options also available)
Please send your CV & covering letter for the attention of Hayley Sowerby to email@example.com or email/phone to request an application form.